Lila Tretikov, formerly of SugarCRM, will be the new Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Outgoing Executive Director Sue Gardner will stay for a month; June 1, 2014 is her last day. She will remain involved in an advisory capacity. Thank you to Sue for seven strong years, and especially for radically increasing the financial and technical underpinnings of Wikipedia! For context, I wrote about the Executive Director transition in USA Today and (more thoroughly) on Zocalo Public Square a month ago.
The following links may be of interest; updating regularly.
- Blog post
- Email announcement from Chair Jan-Bart de Vreede
- Official profile
- Video of announcement & intro to staff: youtu.be/I19PJntVaXo (was streamed live May 1, 2014; also downloadable/viewable on Meta Wiki: [[meta:Metrics and activities meetings/2014-05-01]]
- Lila Tretikov’s introductory message to Wikimedia-L email list
Wikimedia movement coverage
- Coverage in the Wikipedia Signpost
- Biography on Wikipedia: enwp.org/Lila_Tretikov
- Compilation of social media posts from Andrew Lih via Storify
- Notes and links from the meeting where Lila Tretikov was introduced
Independent media coverage
- Lila Tretikov‘s LinkedIn profile
- Here is a fairly recent interview (from her time at SugarCRM)
- Her thoughts on open source in 2007, as published by C|Net
This blog post is dedicated under a CC-0 license — that is, I claim no copyright over anything about this. Feel free to copy/paste wherever. If you reuse the photo, be sure to properly credit the photographer and add the proper license information. –Pete