Wikipedia is important to the future, and important to text.
- Text-based, honors the legacy of text
- Collaborative: Hundreds of thousands of volunteers
- Preserves values of journalism, academia
- Journalists & academics resist the pull – to a point
Forsyth Criteria for collaborative software
Flawed engine of knowledge
- Tyranny of Structurelessness, by Jo Freeman
- World & Internet as monoculture
- Wikipedia introduces diversity (on a structural level)
Its problems are different from those of commercial and traditional institutions and projects
How does Wikipedia cover your field? How’s that changing?
- Some tips on how to read critically: